October is Dental Hygiene Awareness Month
by Dental Spa of Texas
October is Dental Hygiene Awareness Month! You may want to give your teeth and gums a little extra attention this October by reevaluating your dental hygiene regimen. Everyone, young and old, can celebrate Dental Hygiene Month and the role dental hygienists play in keeping your teeth healthy. What can you do to get involved in Dental Hygiene Awareness Month and why is it so important to spread awareness? Read on to find out.
How to Participate in Dental Hygiene Month
National Dental Hygiene Month highlights the key daily habits that promote healthy teeth and gums. By improving your oral health and including these activities in your daily schedule, you can participate in Dental Hygiene Month:
- Brushing – Brushing is recommended by the ADHA twice a day, once before breakfast and again just before bedtime, using fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing – You should floss once a day, ideally just before sleeping, when trapped food particles can cause severe problems.
- Eating healthy – A diet in accordance with the government’s food pyramid promotes oral health by cutting down on sugars and contributing to overall physical health and includes whole-grains and dairy products, vegetables, fruits, and nuts, with meat, fish, and sweets in moderation.
- Chew sugar-free gum – Research supported by the Wrigley Oral Healthcare Programs has shown that chewing sugar-free gum for 20 minutes after eating helps to clean debris from teeth, promotes saliva production which helps to control acid buildup, and adds necessary minerals to the enamel of the teeth.
- Use an antimicrobial mouthwash – This should be done with daily brushing.
Why is National Dental Hygiene Month So Important?
Adults and children of all ages should understand and participate in National Dental Hygiene Month every October for many reasons. In addition to encouraging you to better take care of your teeth, it also promotes good oral hygiene. By doing so, you will decrease the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss.
As part of National Dental Hygiene Month, we also celebrate our hard-working dental hygienists. Over 200,000 dental hygienists work hard in the United States to keep our mouths healthy and happy.
National Dental Hygiene Month serves as a great annual reminder to upgrade your toothbrush regularly! Although we recommend using a soft bristle toothbrush, you should still consult our team about which type would be best for you.
Although the healthy daily habits that lead to healthy teeth should be taught as soon as a child is old enough to do them on their own, adults should get into the habits recommended by this year’s National Dental Hygiene Month regardless of their age or the condition of their teeth. Good oral health is an important part of overall well-being. Schedule your next dental appointment with our team to take part in this years National Dental Hygiene Month.